Win 10 Postgresql 11 database cluster initialisation failed
I've just struggled with this for several hours, so I'm posting this for anyone else who winds up here.
Initially, all I could find were two bug reports on the
pgsql-bugs mailing list:
BUG #15856: The program "postgres" was found by "initdb" but was not the same version as initdb.
BUG #15970: Db initialization error - initdb.exe and postgres not same version
The specific symptoms are:
The program "postgres" was found by ".../initdb.exe" but was not the same version as initdb.
and although the versions match, you get this:
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin>postgres -V WARNING: 01000: could not determine encoding for locale "<some encoding>.utf8": codeset is "CPutf8"
If these are your symptoms, the issue is that you have your region/language settings set to use UTF-8 (beta setting). This causes problems with lots of programs, and PostgreSQL is one of them. Disable this and re-install and you should be fine.
Follow these steps to avoid this error
- Uninstall PostgreSQL
- Delete if you have postgres user
- Right click on My Computer / This PC and click on Manage goto Local Users and Groups then Users New User enter Username as postgres and Password (whatever you want) and click on Create button.
- Now right click on postgres user and click on properties click on Member of tab and then on Add button here click on Advanced and a new dialog box open for Groups click on Find Now and select Administrators click OK button.
- Now open Command Prompt / cmd
- here type runas /user:postgres cmd.exe and hit enter
- cd path to downloaded Postgresql folder enter
- postgresql-x.x.x-x-windows.exe enter (here x reflect release, major and minor versions).
- Now repeat step 4 and remove group Administrators and add Power Users