Symbol 'grub_file_filters' not found on Kali Linux VM
What worked for me on OSX is combining Daniel Simon's answer and ddburrjr's comment.
- Download a fresh .iso image from the official web page of Kali Linux.
- Start VirtualBox and open the settings for the Kali Linux virtual machine. Add the downloaded iso image in the 'storage page' as a virtual cd. How? Select 'Controller: IDE' and press CD button on the right, 'choose disk' and then select the downloaded .iso file.
- Press F12 during boot and press 'C' to to boot from CD_ROM
- Select 'Live (amd64)' in the Boot menu to run Kali Linux from .iso file.
- Follow these instructions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5spKO02G5v4
- Done! Kali Linux boots up again from virtual harddrive