Apple - How do I start the docker daemon on macOS?
The docker setup does not work as in a normal Linux machine, on a Mac it is much more complicated. But it can be done!
brew cask install docker virtualbox
brew install docker-machine
docker-machine create --driver virtualbox default
eval "$(docker-machine env default)"# This might throw an
TSI connectionerror. In that case run
docker-machine regenerate-certs default
docker-machine restart) # maybe needed
docker run hello-world
These steps are based on information given in these two questions:
- Cannot connect to the Docker daemon on macOS
- Mac OS X sudo docker Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?.
An alternative solition which worked for me:
- remove docker and docker-compose installed by brew
- install Docker Desktop for Mac
- run it and pass admin credentials to start everything
It resolved issues with "docker deamon not running" as well as some other issues that the other answer didn't (e.g.
0.0.0.0 ports were not redirected with docker installed using brew and worked smoothly with Docker Desktop installation).