Android - Create new Labels in Gmail App
As of current writing, it seems that it's (still) impossible to create a new label in Android Gmail app. From Google Gmail official support,
Create a label
- On a computer, open Gmail. You can't create labels from the Gmail app.
- On the left, click More.
- Click Create new label.
- Name your label.
- Click Create.
If Inbox App is installed on the device and has access to Gmail ID, then from
Inbox App, it is possible to create a Gmail Label, and the same will be SYNC to Gmail App.
There is an option in
Inbox App's Navigation drawer (sliding menu) to create new Gmail Labels.
Not sure why the same is not made available in the official Gmail App itself, because the app is developed by the Gmail Team only.
How I found I could create a new label on Android:
- Open Android Chrome.
- Invoke Gmail within Chrome (via that 3x3 grid selector), which opens the Mobile version of Gmail.
- Open an email & scroll to the bottom and you'll see: "View Gmail in: Mobile | Older version | Desktop"
- Click on "Desktop", which will open the desktop version of Gmail where you can create a folder as you would on your laptop.
- Close all Android apps. Then when you reopen the Gmail app, you will see the newly created folder.
Why oh why cannot such a rich company with so much talent put something as basic as label creation in their mobile app. Geez! :(